What is meant by research? In general, the notion of research is a process of inquiry that is carried out actively, diligently, and systematically, where the aim is to discover, interpret, and revise facts.
Another opinion says that the definition of research is a systematic investigation process by studying various materials and sources to build facts and reach new conclusions.
The purpose of the research is to find or obtain data for specific purposes. Therefore, research must be done scientifically based on scientific characteristics, namely:
- Rational; the point is that research must be done in ways that are reasonable or rational so that it can be reached by human reason.
- Empirical; the point is that research must be based on sources of knowledge obtained from observations of the human senses. That way, the method can also be observed by others.
- Systematic; the point is that research must be carried out through certain steps that are logical and orderly in accordance with a system that has been arranged so that it can explain the sequence of causation of an object of research.
Understanding of Research According to Experts
According to Donald Ary, the notion of research is the application of a scientific approach to an assessment of problems in obtaining useful information and results that can be accounted for. According to Tyrus Hillway, the notion of research is a method of study that is in-depth and careful of all forms of facts that can be trusted on a particular problem in order to make the solution to the problem.
The Characteristics of Research
Research activities must have certain characteristics. The characteristics of the study are as follows:
- Scientific in nature, the intention is that research is carried out in accordance with procedures and uses convincing evidence in the form of facts obtained objectively.
- The process is continuous, the results of a study can always be improved from time to time through a process that runs continuously.
- Contributing, the intention is that there must be an element of contribution or added value to the existing knowledge.
- Analytically, a study conducted must be proven and described using scientific methods and there is a causal relationship between the variables.
Basically, the purpose of the research is to find the knowledge that can be utilized for humans and the environment. According to some experts, there are three practical research objectives, namely:
1. Explorative Purpose
In this case, research with an explorative purpose is to discover new knowledge that has never existed before. For example, research on the benefits of cinnamon extract for the problem of diabetes in the human body.
2. Verification Objectives
Research with the purpose of verification is to prove or re-test the truth of science that has existed before. For example, proving the benefits of starfruit extract as an anti-bacterial.
3. Development Objectives
Research with the aim of development is to dig deeper or develop a study or existing knowledge. For example, research on the benefits of mangosteen peel extracts for pre-existing diabetes problems.
The research was carried out again to develop it, for example examining how effective mangosteen peel extract was at dealing with diabetes in certain age groups.
Consultancy or consultation can be interpreted as the process of providing assistance to someone by experts and meeting qualification standards in certain areas to find out about themselves, develop their potential, solve problems, make decisions, adjust themselves, advice for research, and others.
According to Dougherty, the consultation process will involve three parties, namely the counselor, counselee, and counselee or third party. The three parties are a component of the consulting service that is a condition for conducting service activities.
Definition of Consultation According to Experts. Some experts express their opinions on what is meant by consultancy as follows:
- According to Marsudi, consultancy or consultation is the process of providing assistance in an effort to address client issues indirectly.
- Watson, consultation is a service technique for developing cooperative relationships between counselors and clients.
- Zins, consultation is a process that is usually based on the characteristics of the same relationship that is characterized by mutual trust and open communication, working together in identifying problems, bringing together personal resources to recognize and choose strategies that have the possibility of solving the identified problems, and sharing responsibility for implementing and evaluating planned programs or strategies.
Whereas the Audit Commission defines consultation as a dialogue process that leads to a decision. The definition implies three aspects in consultation, they are:
- Consultation is a dialogue, in which there are various activities and exchanging information in order to ensure that the consulted party knows more about a theme. Therefore consultation is educative and inclusive.
- This consultation is a process. Consultation is an interactive and ongoing process.
- Consultation is about action and results. It must ensure that the views consulted lead to a decision. Therefore consultation is about action and results-oriented.
The consultation process includes:
- Provision, that is, consultants provide direct services to consultants who do not have the time or skills to solve the problem. Consultants provide solutions, and consultants are free to determine how to solve the problem.
- Prescription, it means that the consultant gives advice and does not participate in helping the process of solving the problem being faced by the consultant.
- Mediation, it means that the consultant has the role of mediator in solving problems faced by the consultant.
- Collaboration, meaning that the consultant together with the consultant resolves the problem at hand.
While the Curpius mentioned that there were nine stages in the implementation of the consultation process, which included:
Pre Entry (before entering)
The consultant explains the values of needs, assumptions, and goals about individuals, groups, organizations and assesses the capabilities and skills of the consultant himself.
A statement of the problem is expressed, linked, formulated, and sets out the steps that need to be followed.
To explain the problem by listening, observing, giving statements, standard recording, interviews, and group meetings.
Information assessment is used in determining goals for change.
Determining Problem Solution
Information is analyzed and synthesized to find the most effective solution to the problem faced by the consultant.
The results achieved are measured in a certain period, certain conditions, and describe the solution of the problem and are supported by other factors to achieve the goals set.
Implementing the Plan
Interventions are implemented by following the guidelines/steps, by telling all the parts that must be done, when, how, who is responsible, and the expected results.
Ongoing activities are monitored, processes and results are needed to evaluate the consultant’s activities.
Direct contact with the consultant stopped, but the influence of the process is expected to continue. Decisions are made to postpone the act, redesign, and implement it again, and end it perfectly.
Thesis consultation is an important part of the thesis writing process, which is very helpful for students in solving obstacles encountered during the thesis process. Usually, students consult their theses with supervisors or lecturers who are experts in the field of study or the material discussed in the thesis. This consultation starts from the determination of the thesis topic until it is finished. Students are ready for the thesis examination or thesis trial.
In addition to the supervisor and other lecturers concerned, thesis consultation can also be carried out with thesis consultant services. Now there are a lot of thesis consultant services that provide attractive offers regarding thesis work. Actually, the existence of these thesis consultants is very useful for students who have difficulty in arranging consultations with their supervisors. For those who need additional time to consult. This is because often the supervising lecturer only has a very limited time for thesis consultation so that the results of the consultation are less than optimal.
Consultancy for research
When you consult with a supervisor, your lecturer has actually started giving an assessment of your thesis. Assessment of the thesis generally revolves around ideas, the process of preparation. The content and quality of the writing. And also how to present ideas and writing both in the seminar and the final examination of the thesis.
The stages in the thesis consultation that you must prepare before facing your supervisor include:
- You must have determined the title of your thesis in accordance with the idea that you will make the topic of poker online discussion in your thesis. Here you must have a picture of the overall idea of the thesis. You are going to make so that you will easily convey your idea to the supervisor.
- It is highly recommended for students who will do a consultation to read a lot of references relating to the thesis to be made. This aims to build the arguments that underlie you in determining the title and discussion material for your thesis. In addition, the references you read will also affect the process of writing your thesis. Such as determining the theoretical framework, analysis, and discussion.
- It is very important before you consult to prepare a list of questions that you will ask your supervisor. In addition to saving time, this will also greatly help you solve the difficulties that you encounter in working on your thesis.
Thus, your thesis consultation will run smoothly and it is likely that your thesis will also be completed quickly. You must be really serious during the thesis process and don’t give up easily. Even though there are many challenges you have to face.
Anyway, research and consultancy are two things that cannot be separated from one another. Where there is a research, there must be a consultancy. But, consultancy is not only about research because you can also get consultancy for other issues. Consultancy basically means getting advice or idea in order to solve certain problems.